Meet the School of Communication and Creative Arts

Today we speak with Kristine Moruzi: Kristine is a Senior Lecturer in Writing and Literature and is the Course Director for the Master of Arts in Writing and Literature.

What do you teach at Deakin?

Kristine: I teach Children’s Literature. I am also the Course Director for the Master of Arts in Writing and Literature and the Honours coordinator for Writing and Literature.

How would you describe your creative practice?

Kristine: I’m not a creative practitioner per se, but work creatively and innovatively to consider how children’s literature responds to and reflects ideas and ideologies about children, childhood, and literature. I’m currently working on a project that examines how children in the nineteenth century were encouraged to see themselves as people who should help others. Those ideas from the past continue to resonate with our contemporary expectations for children.

Who has been your biggest influence on your career to date?

Kristine: It was during my PhD days that I met another student who was also interested in historical children’s literature. Our first meeting at a university cafe, where we decided to write a journal article together, proved to be the foundation of a valuable friendship and productive collaboration that has influenced the kinds of research projects I take on and how I work collaboratively.

What do you consider your greatest achievement in life?

Kristine: I originally completed a Commerce degree and working in consulting for a few years before deciding to go back to university to study English. That decision entirely changed my career trajectory. I wouldn’t be in Australia now if I hadn’t made the choice to do something I love.

What has been your favourite Deakin experience?

Kristine: My first PhD student recently completed her PhD and was awarded the Alfred Deakin Medal for her doctoral thesis. I attended the graduation ceremony where she was awarded the prize to celebrate her success with her and her family. It was a fabulous day, and I am so proud of what she accomplished and how far she has progressed as a scholar.

How would you describe the Deakin learning experience for students?

Kristine: Deakin aims to provide supportive, positive learning experiences, and this is an area in which I think we excel. I am always so disappointed to hear that a student has encountered difficulties, but hasn’t been in touch with me to see how I – and the university – can support them in their studies. There is a genuine desire to see our students succeed, and for them to know that if they need help, they should ask for it!

What is your best advice for someone looking to enter a creative career?

Kristine: Be flexible. The path you think you’ll take will likely have detours, so be prepared to take advantage of opportunities to meet new people, try new things, and develop new skills.

What is it like teaching and studying your discipline online?

Kristine: We are well set up to teach Writing and Literature online. We have a number of students in the Master of Arts (Writing and Literature) who study online – and often part-time – while also doing all the other things that make life interesting like caring for family members, working, volunteering, and travelling. Online study gives them the flexibility they need to be successful. Our teaching staff are very comfortable and competent in the online teaching space, and provide a supportive online forum for students to engage with new and exciting ideas.

Kristine

Dr Kristine Moruzi is the Course Director for the Master of Arts in Writing and Literature.