Meet Millie, current Bachelor of Criminology / Bachelor of Laws student, minoring in Middle East Studies. We caught up with Millie to hear about her university experience.

Moving from a regional town to the second biggest city in Victoria was a big challenge for me. I also had to adjust to university life as I was the first in my family to attend university so I had no prior experience to draw from.

Why did you choose to study at Deakin?

Millie: I chose to study at Deakin because of the flexibility it encourages. I can take my degree at a slower pace with part-time or I can accelerate my degree through Deakin’s trimester system, and have my degree completed in a shorter amount of time.

Tell us about your experience of Deakin’s teaching/academic staff.

Millie: The Deakin academic staff are honestly incredible. There has never been a time where I’ve felt uncomfortable approaching a lecturer with any questions or concerns I’ve had; they have been incredibly warm and helpful throughout my time at Deakin. They have these incredible connections into the industry we are being lectured in, and organise talks and lectures from extremely knowledgeable industry professionals.

How would you describe the learning environment and culture at Deakin?

Millie: The learning environment at Deakin is one of support and compassion. Everyone is willing to help everyone, and we achieve this through our seminar lessons in which we bounce off of each other in discussion and question each other (and ourselves) in the process. There are also many societies and clubs available to join at Deakin, which help you meet people like you with the same passions you have, from religious to political.

Where do you see your career in the future?

Millie: I hope to work in Counter-Terrorism with the Australian Federal Police.

Have you faced any challenges whilst studying?

Millie: Moving from a regional town to the second biggest city in Victoria was a big challenge for me. I had to make new friends and get my head around the concept of traffic. I also had to adjust to university life as I was also the first in my family to attend university so I had no prior experience to draw from.

What would you say to someone considering study at Deakin University?

Millie: Definitely do it. And with Deakin’s incredible range of double degrees, it’s an incredible opportunity and an even better course structure, with lecturers who truly want to see you succeed.

The Deakin community is such a supportive one. Everyone wants you to succeed and is willing to assist you in reaching your full potential as a student and as a person.

Millie

Millie is studying the Bachelor of Criminology / Bachelor of Laws at Deakin University.