Today we hear from Michaela who studied Dance at the undergraduate level, continued on to study Honours, and also studied the Diploma of Spanish at Deakin.

When I began my undergraduate degree, I hadn’t taken formal dance training for several years. My course provided a safe, non-judgmental, compelling and supportive space in which I could return to dancing. I was also able to pursue my passion for photography by studying the subject as an elective, which I had studied in VCE.

My studies have allowed me to take advantage of fantastic travel opportunities, which wouldn’t have been possible without the support of Deakin. I began a Diploma of Spanish Language, after living and studying on exchange in Chile. I also took a two-week contemporary dance study tour in New York, and in the final year of my undergraduate degree, I undertook a one-month education internship at Mark Morris Dance Group, a dance school in New York City.

michaela
Living with a family who spoke no English demanded that I learnt the language very quickly, which felt extremely rewarding and exciting.

In my Honours Degree, I developed a love for writing and academic research, which was essential experience for the grant applications that I began upon graduating. The course structure meant that I was surrounded by creative arts Honours students of all mediums, rather than just dance students. This structure allowed access to unique perspectives and feedback on my work. My lecturers and tutors provided invaluable and ongoing support, many of whom have largely influenced my creative practice and interests, and who I am still in contact with now.

There are numerous options and directions to go in after graduating from a creative arts dance course. Some are more competitive than others, such as becoming a professional dancer, while others, like teaching for example, may be more easily attained. Regardless of how competitive or difficult it may be to acquire the ideal job, it is absolutely worth the effort. Network, persevere, make the most of the resources and contacts you have available to you, and enjoy the process.

Michaela Ottone studied Bachelor Creative Arts (Dance), Bachelor of Creative Arts (Honours), and Diploma of Spanish at Deakin University.