Deakin was one of the first universities within Australia to offer a Bachelor of Criminology, highlighting the innovation and pioneering of Deakin within this field. I first met with staff at an Open Day and found the staff within Criminology to be engaging, friendly, and most importantly at the top of their research areas in the Australian Criminology community.

Choosing to do my PhD at Deakin has been the greatest decision I have made to prepare myself for employment after graduation. Deakin has provided me with various opportunities to lecture, teach tutorials and mark assessments within the undergraduate Criminology course. This has enabled me to become involved in the very course I studied and loved as an undergraduate student at Deakin. I have also been given amazing network opportunities throughout the university with fellow PhD students as well as national and international researchers.

The most rewarding aspect of my course at Deakin has been the encouragement of Deakin’s faculty to push the status quo. They constantly challenge you to question your knowledge and to apply this critical mindset to not only research, but my everyday life. The life skills, accompanied with the plethora of Criminological knowledge I now have has been the most rewarding part of my time at Deakin.

I see my career having the ability to sustain and fulfil my research interests within Criminology. With Deakin’s help in fostering my research capabilities and academic portfolio I hope to apply this knowledge within my field so that I can make important global contributions.

Taylor McCaw
Current candidate – Doctorate of Philosophy (Criminology)

Past study:
Bachelor of Criminology, Major in Psychology (Deakin University)
Bachelor of Arts, Honours (1st class) (Deakin University)

Taylor

Taylor McCaw at Deakin University

Explore more about Criminology at Deakin University