Tegan Rohan felt at home from her first moments at Deakin University. “During the university open days, Deakin stood out as a friendly campus with passionate tutors and flexibility to cater to my career goals through unit availability” she said. The beautiful campus with its many design features attracted Tegan. “The Waurn Ponds campus design includes water features, stretches of green grass, trees and open areas which appealed to me coming from a country background.”

Deakin lifestyle was also welcoming to Tegan. “The culture at Deakin is open and friendly to everyone. With so many clubs available there is a place for everyone to belong and the chance to meet people outside of your own degree” Tegan said. She was a part of the Deakin Devils club as a cheerleader. Despite this being her first time cheerleading Tegan had never felt so welcomed into a club before. “The friends I made through the Deakin Devils are genuine friendships that will last well after we graduate from our various degrees” Tegan said.

For Tegan, a double major in Journalism and Public Relations, the courses she took and staff she encountered, helped her feel ready and prepared for the workforce. “Deakin’s teaching and academic staff take care of you through every step of your degree. They take an interest in what your study goals are and provide support through teaching and interning experiences” she said. “Without this personalized interest I would not have my job as a part-time journalist in a newspaper heading into my final year of study.”

Internships also played a big role. “The most rewarding aspect of studying at Deakin are the internship experiences that were provided. The internships demonstrated the roles and work I could be doing after I graduate. Being a part of those companies and being able to contribute through my learnings at Deakin was incredibly rewarding to me because I could provide quality work that I was proud of.” Tegan said.

Tegan undertook two internships through Deakin, one with Basketball Australia and the second was the Malaysian Communications Internship. These helped her get the most out of her degree and learn new skills in a setting outside of a class.

Tegan Rohan
Bachelor of Arts (Double Major; Journalism and Public Relations)

Tegan