Arlena felt overwhelmed at first when she began her studies but found comfort when she stepped on to campus and was made to feel at home.  ‘I came into uni studies a little underprepared and found it somewhat overwhelming at first. But once I became more organised, I was able to take full advantage of what my courses had to offer which also allowed me to engage in life at Deakin as whole. The teaching and academic staff are of a high standard with diverse backgrounds, knowledge, and skillsets. It has been particularly good to have the opportunity to be lectured by authors of some of my textbooks as well.’ 

Deakin was an easy and comfortable transition into university life that set me up for success in my degree. The campuses are inviting, with food and facilities to suit anyone’s needs. Not only was the learning content of a high standard, but the extra-curricular activities and overseas opportunities were endless which will be invaluable to my career employability. 

The highlight of Arlena’s Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of International studies degree was her experience abroad as part of Deakins international study programs. ‘I have completed a study tour to the University of East Anglia (UAE) in Norwich, England, and a short-term program to Mushashi University in Tokyo, Japan. The study tour I undertook to UAE in England has been a highlight for me because it allowed me to interact with students from all other countries. It was great to be an ambassador for Deakin and share and learn knowledge about other universities. I think this is not only a great opportunity but a way for Deakin to market itself to international students who may otherwise have not heard of the university.’ 

For Arlena, learning at Deakin also happens outside the classroom. ‘Throughout my law degree, I have had opportunities to participate in numerous networking events with representatives from prominent business and law firms in Geelong and Melbourne (Coulter Roache and Harwood Andrews). I have also been lucky enough to undertake an internship at DHHS in the Child Protection Services,’ she says. 

If Arlena could give anyone looking to study advice it would be ‘to always have a clear vision of what your goals are and why. To be successful, you must be confident and sure of the direction you are heading. Always have a plan in place to help you reach your goals. Maintaining self-conviction!’ 

Arlena Barton 
Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of International Studies 

Arlena Barton

Find out more about international studies at Deakin University.