After finishing her final year of school Molly Martin wasn’t entirely certain about what she wanted to study at university. ‘I have always seen myself working with people and helping them to achieve their goals so I thought I would enrol into teaching and see how I went.’ 

Gaining hands-on experience in the classroom during her first year of study through Deakin’s professional experience program solidified Molly’s choice to pursue teaching. ‘After completing my first practicum I knew instantly that I had definitely picked the right career path. 

Since then, Molly has explored many countries while pursuing her teaching degree at Deakin. She attributes her classroom confidence to the many work-integrated learning experiences provided. 

Deakin University has given me the opportunity to become a global citizen by helping me to gain relevant experience within the global community, specifically in Fiji and Canada. This has opened my eyes to the enormous amount of possibilities that my teaching degree offers. I don’t know what my future holds, but I’m excited to see what it entails.

When Molly isn’t in class, she is often seen around campus looking for opportunities to develop her skills and experience.  ‘There are so many opportunities to get involved at Deakin – both volunteer and paid. I have been involved in a volunteer program called ‘Write your Future,’ and I am a Student Ambassador for Deakin. I always look forward to coming to Deakin University as it is a supportive and welcoming environment. There are so many opportunities to build friendships and it becomes a sociable place. You are surrounded by many students who are working hard and you are provided with opportunities,’ she says. 

‘Deakin is a welcoming, supportive and friendly place that has limitless opportunities for everybody. It is not just a university, it is a community full of passionate and hard-working students.’ 

Molly Martin 
Bachelor of Education (Primary)

Molly Martin

Learn more about studying teaching and education degrees at Deakin University.