It’s Not a Competition

Over the last few months, I’ve seen added pressure from social media to do certain things – bake a 3-layer cake to perfection, read a 500-page book cover to cover or lose 15 pounds of body weight and do 100 push-ups as part of the process.

As much as it’s great to learn new skills and improve in the areas we need work on, it’s not a productivity contest. At a time like this, added pressure is the last thing we need. So if lounging around, eating an ice cream or two or watching a feel-good movie is what makes you happy, do it!

Its about connection.

Connection at a time of isolation. With physical isolation all around the world, it’s important to avoid being emotionally isolated as well. People will joke around here and there and say that introverts are thriving during this time, but as an introvert myself, I’ve definitely relied on keeping in touch with friends and family. With all the technological tools available to us, it’s so easy to pick up the phone or message a friend. I think it’s important to use this time to check up on each other and send our loved ones virtual hugs from wherever we are in the world.

Its about structure.

We’re all taking these circumstances differently but I’m sure it’s taken it’s toll on our mental health one way or another. But let me tell you this, I don’t need a medical degree to remind you that all your feelings are valid. Allow yourself to actually process what’s going on and don’t be ashamed if you’re in a funk some days. One thing that’s helped me mentally is keeping some structure in my daily life. Even with the limitations, there are still heaps of things that  we can keep doing at home even if our setting is a little different. Try to find things you did regularly that you can still do at home– plans have been cancelled but your happiness doesn’t have to be!

Its not permanent.

These are without a doubt, unprecedented times. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this pandemic whether it’s in the area of health, finances, employment, loss, fear or anxiety. But no matter how tough it’s been, it’s not permanent. I am wholeheartedly looking forward to the day we can enjoy each other’s company, celebrate milestones and share experiences together. The world will never be the same, it shouldn’t. But I’ve had the pleasure of virtually watching the world share in grief, in joy, in kindness and in thanksgiving. One day, this will be a part of history. But until then, we have the privilege of staying home and being a a part of the cure.

Article written by: Isabel Vilchez

Illustration by: Isabel Vilchez