Skip to navigation Skip to content

June 8, 2013

Dr Ian Warren reflects on three months researching in Canada

IanWarren Canada

Between August and December 2012, I was privileged enough to spend an extended time on study leave. Although primarily based at the Surveillance Studies Centre at Queens University and the Department of Sociology, Anthropology and Criminology at the University of Windsor, both in Ontario, Canada, I also visited several other Canadian universities and attended two major conferences. I also presented a number of papers and held seminars on my research into surveillance, crime control and international justice.

This visit was invaluable for strengthening my research and education networks with a number of Canadian criminologists, commencing several joint publications examining common crime and surveillance problems, and informing Canadian undergraduate and postgraduate students about Australian criminological issues. The trip enabled me to gain a greater appreciation of the similarities and differences in Canadian justice, policing and information privacy policies, which will be the subject of my comparative surveillance research in the coming years.

Join the conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * in their own special way.

0 / 500This is a required field.
This is a required field
This is a required field