Q&A with visiting academic Yan Zi

In August, A/Prof. Yan Zi (Education University of Hong Kong) arrived for a four-month visit to CRADLE. During his stay, he participated in many discussions with the CRADLE team and presented a seminar discussing his research into the student self-assessment process as part of our Seminar Series. Before he returned home, Yan Zi took the time to reflect on his visit to CRADLE, including future collaborative opportunities – and his tip on where to find some great Malaysian Nyonya cuisine!

Q. What did you hope to achieve from your visit to CRADLE?

The purpose of my visit to CRADLE was twofold. First, our department (Department of Curriculum and Instruction, The Education University of Hong Kong) recently established a Key Research Area focusing on “Assessment Research into Enhancing Learning and Teaching”. We wanted to explore collaboration possibilities with strategical research partners like CRADLE. Second, I was personally hoping for some new research ideas generated from discussions and interactions with CRADLE colleagues.

Yan Zi presenting at the front of the room, a rear view of audience members in the foreground

Photo: Joanna Tai

Q. What did you most enjoy about your time at CRADLE?

My visit at CRADLE was enjoyable and fruitful. It was always pleasant to engage in intellectual dialogues with CRADLE colleagues, who have a deep understanding of assessment in education. We have also identified some promising topics for collaboration, such as development of an instrument for assessing feedback literacy.

Q. Have you come across any ideas or had any discussions which have challenged your thinking?

I believe so. The open discussion with CRADLE colleagues about many interesting topics (e.g., evaluative judgment, feedback literacy, etc.) inspired my thinking on assessment from a different perspective. My previous work on assessment was mainly in a quantitative fashion. The conceptual work on the nature of assessment conducted at CRADLE was definitely thought-provoking for me.

Q. How will your visit to CRADLE impact your future research directions?

The ideas discussed here (e.g., feedback literacy scale, the relationship between assessment and evaluative judgement) will surely be one line of my future research. More importantly, the partnership initiative between our department and CRADLE has been established. I believe my visit is just the start of a long-term collaboration.

Q. What is one thing you will take away with you from your visit?

The visit reinforced my belief in team work, especially with team members with supplementary expertise.

Q. Best dining spot you discovered in Melbourne?

People dining at tables inside Bababoi Kitchen

Bababoi Kitchen. Photo via The City Lane

I would suggest Bababoi Kitchen & Bar, located on Siddeley St. It will be a perfect spot if you enjoy Malaysian Nyonya cuisine served with a beautiful view of the Yarra River.

Q. Highlight of your visit to Melbourne?

The living environment here is remarkable. I also enjoyed the relaxing culture in Melboure that is quite different from Hong Kong where I live.

Join the conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *