Skip to navigation Skip to content
Banner with image of Tuyen Seephonexai and her name

February 8, 2023

International Women’s Day: Tuyen Seephonexai

My name is Tuyen Seephonexai. At a young age, my journey from Vietnam to Australia was a lifetime survival experience. As a refugee, I have integrated into Australian ways of living I now call Australia my home.  I completed my education in Australia, I am a Deakin alumni and professional staff, working over 18 years at Deakin.  As an experienced Business Analyst and Test Lead, I thrive on delivering transformational projects, and promoting the importance of inclusive change that add values to the students and staff.  Outside of work I enjoy spending time with my families, friends and gardening.

Preferred pronouns: Her/She

Tell us about what International Women’s Day means to you?

For me International Women’s Day means it is the day I thank my mum and Australia from the bottom of my heart for giving me a chance to pursue my dreams, understanding women’s right, and fostering leadership.

In your time at Deakin, what has been your proudest achievement?

I had identified a testing capability gap within my department. I received executive endorsement of my strategic plan to establish testing capability within Deakin Learning Futures, which outlined the organisation structure, processes, and the required testing capability. 

As a result, I won the Vice Chancellor’s Professional Development Awards program.  In turn, this led me to secure the newly created role of Test Lead. I have also received Deakin IT Certificate of Recognition for supporting the Parliament Sitting at the Waterfront Campus.

We know discrimination still exists, what are some of the barriers you think that women are facing today that need more attention?

I believe there is more we can do to prevent women in family violence and modern slavery.  The victims, including the mother and children. If there are no intervention and therapy at some stage in their life, they are high likely to develop low self-esteem, and mental and emotional issues.

How do you feel Deakin supports women?

I feel Deakin is a very supportive organisation that helps women to have a work life balance. As a parent myself, combining work and family life can be complicated without the flexible working arrangement. However in saying that, there is always room for improvements.

What are some of the ways someone can help drive a gender equal future?

Start small steps but dream big. Every small step will break down barriers and lead to a bigger impact. We all can contribute to that gender equal future. Why can’t we have a women morning coffee or lunch date to establish a supportive working environment?

Explore our other International Women’s Day profiles here

Join the conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * in their own special way.

0 / 500This is a required field.
This is a required field
This is a required field