Get your free online news subscription through Deakin Library
If you’re a Deakin student or staff member, you get the latest news for free! Staying up to date on current affairs and learning the skills of media analysis is critical to your education. Deakin Library offers you access to a broad range of digital newspapers and journals. Here are the outlets you can access through the library.
Nine Entertainment Co (formerly Fairfax Media)
This subscription covers The Age, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Australian Financial Review. Once Deakin staff and students have logged in via single sign-on they can then access Fairfax publications through the library catalogue.
This subscription offers unlimited digital access to the Herald Sun, Geelong Advertiser and The Australian . You’ll have access to desktop and mobile content for both newspapers, as well as the News+ network including heraldsun.com.au, dailytelegraph.com.au and a diverse range of other news websites. To access these publications you will need to:
- Go the library’s News Ltd subscription page for all the details
- Make sure you read and agree to the Terms and Conditions
- Click the Subscribe button and enter the information requested
- Start reading!
To find out more, go to the FAQs page. Please note that your initial subscription will be to the Geelong Advertiser website. Once subscribed there, you are able to access The Australian website with the same credentials. No additional registration is required. If you are a current subscriber, your subscription will be carried over as long as you are still an eligible Deakin user. You do not need to resubscribe.
New York Times
This new subscription offers unlimited digital access to the New York Times, an American newspaper that provides live news and opinions from countries around the world. Once Deakin staff and students have logged in via single sign-on they can then access this publication through the library catalogue. To access this publication you will need to:
- Visit nytimes.com/passes to activate your New York Times digital pass.
- On nytimes.com/passes, click on “Register” and create a free account using your school email address. If you already have registered a free NYTimes.com account associated with your school email address, log in with those credentials.
- Validate your email address. Check your email inbox for a confirmation message from The New York Times. Click on the link in your confirmation message to validate your email address and claim your New York Times Academic Pass. This will bring you back to the academic pass page, where you will select whether you are a student or faculty member and select your graduation year if relevant. Note: If the confirmation email doesn’t arrive, check your spam folder. If it isn’t there, send an email to [email protected] from your school email address to request confirmation.
- Success! You have successfully claimed a Digital Pass when you see the “Start Your Access” screen.
- Explore NYTimes.com and The New York Times News App from any location, on or off campus, by simply logging into your NYTimes.com account directly on NYTimes.com! We strongly suggest you download the New York Times mobile app at nytimes.com/mobile. NYT Cooking and NYT Games are not included in your digital access.
To claim a new Pass after expiration, simply visit nytimes.com/passes and log in with your NYTimes.com account associated with your school email address.
For links to explore a full range of Australian and international newspapers, please use the A-Z Journals and Newspapers page. If you have any questions about access, please contact the library directly.