Award presentation

Linda Tivendale’s dedication to giving her students the knowledge they need to succeed in the construction industry has been recognised with a prestigious industry award.

The Australian Institute of Building (AIB) presented Ms Tivendale, the course director of Deakin University’s postgraduate construction management programs, with the F E Crowle Award for Teaching Excellence at the 2019 AIB Victorian Professional Excellence in Building Awards in July.

The F E Crowle Award is made to a person who is employed as a full-time lecturer in an AIB accredited degree program. To be chosen for the award, the person must have demonstrated a level of excellence in teaching. A member of Deakin’s School of Architecture and Built Environment, Ms Tivendale was nominated for the award by the Head of School, Professor Anthony Mills, which she says made her feel valued as an important part of the Construction Management program at Deakin. 

‘I was very excited to receive the award,’ Ms Tivendale says. ‘It was a great night as there were quite a few Deakin graduates in attendance and I enjoyed catching up with them to see how their careers are progressing.

‘That is the most enjoyable part of teaching for me – imparting my love of the construction industry to students and giving them the knowledge to succeed.’

Ms Tivendale was the second female graduate from the Bachelor of Building at the University of Melbourne and also holds a Master of Building by Research from Deakin. She brings more than 30 years construction experience, primarily in on-site roles, to her teaching.

‘I have been an AIB member since I was a student at the University of Melbourne. Deakin’s Construction Management programs, both postgraduate and undergraduate, are accredited by the AIB and the organisation has provided professional development and industry connections throughout my career,’ Ms Tivendale says.

Photo credit: Loysh Photography