As part of my construction research thesis unit, I chose to visit Shandong, China in order to experience the construction landscape and gain some important knowledge to support the completion of my thesis.

My reason for undertaking the trip was to explore China and it’s fast-developing construction industry. Whilst in China, I was given the opportunity to visit a project that was also being used to exhibit construction methods for future government projects. This project was in Wujiapu a village west of Jinan and was called the “Relocation Project of Wujiapu”.

The support and guidance throughout the entire experience was fantastic; Professor Stone of the Jinan Shandong University was responsible for organising site visits and interviews with project managers who were all more than happy to explain the construction landscape in China. On the last day of my stay I was also invited to have dinner with Professor Xi who is the CEO of Shandong International Project Management and I was taken on a tour of the company showcasing the projects the company was involved in. 

The site visits and interviews with project managers and Professor Xi proved to be educational and worthwhile towards my thesis research. During my time in China, whilst gathering research I travelled on the to Beijing, visiting the Great Wall of China and the Forbidden City and these proved to be amazing experiences.

Overall, visiting China as part of my studies was an experience that will remain with me for a long time and I highly recommend it to other students undertaking a research thesis.  

Luca Salemi